Queso fundido en salsa verde at Casa Fuerte Restaurant in Tlaquepaque

Food writer Maryanne Carmack’s second installment from her latest Mexican adventure…

While in Guadalajara, our hosts Jeffry and Brenda Fernandez treated us to lunch at Casa Fuerte Restaurant in Tlaquepaque, our most impressive and memorable Mexican dining experience.  The restaurant leans towards fine dining, with an elegant bar and refreshing garden patio surrounding a magnificent old tree.  The added spice to our unforgettable meal was listening to the serenade of colourful musicians.

Of the many items we ordered, the Queso fundido en salsa verde, “melted cheese” dish, was the one that captured our hearts and stomachs forever.  We were presented with a smoldering molcajete bowl (hand crafted volcanic stone grinding bowl), along with hot fresh tortillas.  An avalanche of shredded Queso Oaxaca (cheese from Oaxaca) crowned the creation.  As we dug down, various goodies emerged from the depths of the seething crater. With queso fundido, the cheese gradually melts due to the retained heat of the stone bowl.

Oaxaca [pronounced Wuh-HAH-kuh] cheese is a semi-soft white cow’s milk cheese that originated in the southern Mexican state of Oaxaca.  Like mozzarella, Oaxaca cheese is produced using the pasta filata, a method of stretching the curd.  Sometimes, long, flat strands of cheese are wound into a ball and sold this way. Resembling a ball of large strands of yarn, the cheese in this form is called quesillo, meaning “rope” or “string” cheese.  The texture of Oaxaca cheese is supple and smooth.  The flavor is mild and buttery and does not intrude on the foods it is served with.  Oaxaca cheese is particularly well suited and known for its meltability. My advice is put queso fundido at the very top of your “things to eat” list the next time you treat yourself to a trip to Mexico.

-MC

About Maryanne Carmack…

Maryanne was the first person scouted for our 2011 expansion. In my opinion she’s a perfect fit. Not only does she truly know food (and wine), but she has a genuine passion for being active in the community and for promoting environmental awareness through her writing and photography. Her work is engaging, relevant, and fun. I’m personally very excited to have Maryanne on board! Please click “Contact” above and let us know what you think of her work.

-PP

You can see more of Maryanne’s work here: http://www.maryannecarmack.com – be sure to check out the food and wine gallery!

20 Comments

1. My mouth is watering ! Thanks Maryanne, I’m looking up a recipe for it now!

Lori K on 11 January 11, 4:14pm
  2. I do most of my food reading online today, not in books. Are bloggers the best food writers? Im starting to think so.

Great work Mary!!

Ryan on 11 January 11, 4:15pm
  3. Maryanne has really developed a talent for food description. I can easily see a delicious picture in my mind about the goodies she writes about. And the beautiful photos help too. Yum!

Anne W on 11 January 11, 5:33pm
  4. I love Cheese!!!! This video made my mouth water.
    Who ever knew Mexico would have amazing cheese

Great article and video Mary!!

Ashley on 11 January 11, 7:47pm
  5. I am delighted with this article. The presentation in the stone bowl is really neat plus who can resist that wonderful cheese; the video really hits home how delicious this dish could be. I’m sold and looking for a recipe right now :)

Sheryl on 11 January 11, 8:48pm
  6. This Cheese dish looks delish. I’ve never seen anything like it. And I don’t even have to Mexico to discover it! Loved the video too.
    Melisa

Melisa on 12 January 11, 1:56am
  7. I must add that the green salsa, is one of the secrets of this dish, adds a special flavor to the cheese. Delicioso!

Jeffry on 12 January 11, 2:32am
  8. Excellent description of a typical Mexican dish, they try to have it immediately to the front to enjoy it, thanks.

Jesus C on 12 January 11, 2:57am
  9. Good point Jeffry! The green salsa is delicious! Please take me back to that restaurant next time we are in Guadalajara!

Maryanne on 12 January 11, 2:57am
  10. What a delicious article! made me super hungry! nice work Maryanne, looking forward to seeing whats up next!

Amy on 12 January 11, 3:18am
  11. Very happy to read Mary’s new article, which is as always excellent! My mouth is already watering!!!

Laura on 12 January 11, 11:01am
  12. The first time I had queso fundito was in Mexico, delicious! This article brings me right back there.

Scott on 12 January 11, 5:21pm
  13. Great to read about Mexican cuisine beyond beans, rice and salsa. Queso fundito sounds really good!
    Linda

Linda on 13 January 11, 1:14am
  14. I love Queso Oaxaca but have not tried queso fundito yet – I can’t wait ! It is now at the top of my list. Thanks Maryanne.

Kat Contreras on 13 January 11, 4:13am
  15. Nothing beats mexican cheese!

Martin on 13 January 11, 6:39am
  16. I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the second article from Maryanne. It was very well written and I thought the video complemented the description perfectly. She’s opening my eyes to some new Mexican dishes that I should try! Looking forward to more from her in the future.

Meg on 13 January 11, 8:15pm
  17. I loved Maryanne’s queso fundito article! The video is captivating. She is opening our eyes, and interest, to the amazing Mexican cuisine. There is so much more to enjoy than tacos and enchiladas.

Carole on 19 January 11, 9:32pm
  18. The Video was a wonderful way to draw the reader into the atmosphere of the
    Casa Fuerte Restaurant.
    Thank you for the helpful tips on pronouncing the Mexican words as well.
    Your description of the cheeses and seeing the Video was a masterpiece. Thank you.

Maureen on 21 January 11, 6:18pm
  19. Tthe cheese dish looks so good!! I look forward to what Maryanne has to say!!

marian on 29 January 11, 8:15pm